Kevin Roshon Samuels
March 13, 1969
|Died||May 5, 2022 (aged 53)|
Kevin Roshon Samuels (March 13, 1969 – May 5, 2022) was an American internet personality and image consultant. He rose to popularity in 2020 and was considered a polarizing figure based on his YouTube and Instagram live streams discussing modern society and relationships.
Early life and education
Kevin Samuels was born on March 13, 1969, in Oklahoma City. He attended Millwood High School, and studied chemical engineering at the University of Oklahoma, but was not able to graduate due to suffering from cancer at age 21.
Samuels worked in the marketing industry before started his own image-consulting firm in 2013. He accumulated several million followers, ranging from YouTube and Instagram and several other online platforms. The New York Times wrote he built an image as a "plain-spoken, hypermasculine authority" who advocated for "strict gender roles" in which men assumed predominance. He had 1.4 million subscribers on Youtube and 1.2 million followers on Instagram and was gaining traction in mainstream Hip-Hop culture, including interviews with Nicki Minaj and T.I., along with a guest appearance on VladTV. In February 2022, Samuels appeared in a music video in which he acted as a therapist and dating coach for rapper Future in the single "Worst Day". He also interviewed popular Instagram models like Brittany Renner, and reality TV stars like Tommie Lee. His own guests such as Nicki Minaj in February 2022, showed support for his work. Marlon Wayans and Tamar Braxton did as well.
Samuels' comments on black women were controversial and as an image consultant critiqued women's appearances based on dress size and men's appearances. He often stressed a belief that Black women had unrealistically high standards about the types of men they should be dating, while also being vocally critical of men who are poor or overweight. In addition, he strongly criticized Black women and men who fail to meet traditional values. Samuels' critics decried him as being actively misogynoir, and a part of the Black manosphere, whereas his supporters defended him as an advocate for "traditional values".
Personal life and death
On May 5, 2022, Samuels was found unresponsive in his Atlanta apartment after a woman that had stayed with him the night prior called 911, telling the operator Samuels was complaining of chest pains and that he had collapsed. Samuels was rushed to a hospital, where he later died. He was 53.
- Espinoza, Joshua (May 6, 2022). "Kevin Samuels, Polarizing Influencer Who Gave Relationship Advice, Dead at 57". Complex. Retrieved May 6, 2022.
- Bero, Tayo. "How Steve Harvey Birthed A Generation Of Black Male Relationship Experts & Why Black Women Follow Them". www.refinery29.com. Retrieved May 9, 2022.
- Victor, Daniel (May 7, 2022). "Kevin Samuels, a Polarizing YouTube Personality, Dies at 53". The New York Times. Retrieved May 7, 2022.
- "Kevin Samuels on High Value Men, "Average at Best" Women, Gay Rumors, Lori & Megan (Full Interview)". Youtube.
- Burke, Minyvonne (May 6, 2022). "Kevin Samuels, YouTuber with 1.4M subscribers, has died, his mother says". NBC News. Retrieved May 6, 2022.
- Staff (May 6, 2022). "Controversial Relationship Personality Kevin Samuels Has Died". GQ. Retrieved May 6, 2022.
- "T.I. Defends YouTube Personality Kevin Samuels, Blasts Critics Celebrating His Death". Vibe. May 9, 2022.
- "The Instagram Live with @Nicki Minaj". Youtube. Retrieved February 2, 2022.
- Germain, Atahabih (May 6, 2022). "Mother of Kevin Samuels Confirms Controversial YouTuber and 'Image Consultant' Has Passed Away at 53, Marlon Wayans and Tamar Braxton Send Their Condolences". Atlanta Black Star.
- Peeples, Tanesha (May 6, 2022). "Social Media Murdered Kevin Samuels Before His Death Was Confirmed". The Black Wall Street Times. Retrieved May 9, 2022.
- Linley, Zack (May 6, 2022). "Stop The Cap! We All Know Why Kevin Samuels' Death Is Making Black Women Feel A Way". Black News Newsone. Retrieved May 9, 2022.
- McDuffie, Candace (May 2, 2022). "When Will Kevin Samuels Finally Be Canceled?". Yahoo! News. Retrieved May 6, 2022.
- Staff (May 6, 2022). "Kevin Samuels passes away at 56". WBLS. Retrieved May 6, 2022.
- Young, Nicole (January 25, 2022). "My Brush With the Black Manosphere". Elle.